Your ultimate guide on how to dress while showing off your tattoos. Here are some tips on how to keep your tattoos from stealing your style. Learn how to use tattoos as a fashion accessory.
The moment you decide to get tattoos, is the moment you have to begin thinking about using them as your ultimate fashion accessory. While it may be easy to just throw on whatever you want for the day, paying no mind to the colors and shading that are now forever embedded into your skin; if you want to add a little pop to your ink and put in a little bit of thought with your wardrobe, it’s quite easy to start dressing to accentuate your tattoos.
Some of the things you need to consider before dressing to accentuate your tattoos are:
1). The colors
- If you have vibrant tattoos, prepare to pair them with neutrals.
- Use certain colors in your tattoos to add a little bit of visual interest when pairing it with similarly toned accessories.
- If you have black and grey work, wear color to help bring out your designs.
- Try not to pick colors that clash, it can create a look that isn’t flattering.
- Monochrome outfits will work well with black and grey, but you’re not limited to this pallet.
- The more color you have in your tattoos, the more you should lean on neutrals and accessories to create your cohesive outfit.
- Consider your hair color when you’re picking which colors to accentuate. Especially if you’re rocking colorful locks.
Recommended colorful tops and short dresses to match your ink. Skin bearing ensembles in a solid color are always a safe bet. Find more here
2.) The theme
- If you have Japanese style imagery, wearing Asian inspired fashion is a great way to create a cohesive and inspired look.
- Traditional tats look great with most modern t-shirts and jeans.
- Watercolor images work well with prints that tie in the colors from your ink, as well as neutrals such as black and white.
Recommended patterns that work with, and not against, your ink. You can shop the looks here
3.) The location
- The location of your tattoos needs to be considered when you’re picking your clothing to accentuate or hide your ink.
- Choose hem lines, neck lines, back lines, and sleeves based on which pieces you’d like to show off.
- Make sure the hem of your shirts or pants don’t cut the images off at a weird angle.
- If you want to keep it modest; it may not be possible to show your whole tattoo. That’s okay!
- Consider wearing mesh or lace to offer a glimpse of your work instead.
Recommended outfits that review your back piece. Don't obstruct the view of an awesome backpiece. Find more backless styles here
When you’ve taken all of this into consideration, the next step is definitely picking out a few outfits that you’re interested in. If you have a back piece, try a backless top or dress, If you have sleeves, wear tank tops or cap sleeved shirts. Of course, skirts will help to show off any leg tattoos you may have.
Try on any clothing you’re interested in on before you buy them to make sure they compliment your ink in the desired manner.
Accessories are always a great way to tie in your body art. For a more neutral or monochromatic outfit; pull some of the more vibrant colors from your tattoo into your wardrobe with chunky bracelets, earrings, or necklaces.
Image courtesy of Illusive Photography
Remember, you’ve spent a pretty chunk of change on that beautiful artwork; you may as well show it off to the best of your ability. One of the major benefits of dressing to accentuate your tattoos is the fact that you’ll look far more put together than trying to wear hodge-podge outfits that may clash with the colors in your ink. You want to look your best, so wouldn’t you want your art to look as beautiful as it possibly can on your skin?
Do you have any styling tips for complimenting tattoos? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below!
Main photo courtesy of Damn LOL