You’ve done it, I’ve done it, and we’ve all done it. We’ve all stolen our boyfriend’s shirt at one point or another during the relationship. But, what if I told you that one of the biggest fashion trends this year is to not only wear your guy’s shirt, but to turn it into a fashionable dress for an outing?
But, how do you accomplish this look? Well, there are many different ways on how to style your man’s shirt as a dress. It’s just a matter of finding which one will best suit you.
First, let’s get ready.
Ask him! First and foremost, you should ask if he’ll need his shirt back any time soon. If not? Well, then you can prepare to alter his button up shirts a little bit more permanently. If he isn’t too keen on the idea, there are plenty of reversible ways of turning his shirt into a dress.
Gather the things you will need if you’re going to go a more permanent route.
- Sewing machine
- Chalk or a dark pencil
- Measuring tape
- Piece of old fabric
- Seam ripper
- And a friend… Or your boyfriend.
- Pick a sewing pattern. You can find these at almost all sewing stores. You will follow the pattern to cut out the strips of fabric you’ll need.
- Sew following your dress pattern.
- Tie a sash around your waist for an extra twist.
This method works extra well if you would prefer a more permanent staple in your closet that will remind you of him every time you wear it. But, it isn’t going to be for everyone.
For a dress on the fly, especially if he’ll want his work shirt back in the morning can easily be accomplished by simple yet ingenious methods of altering the shirt.
1). The layer approach.
With the layer approach, you’re not changing his shirt very much. In fact, it’ll remain completely intact. For this look you’ll need:
- A dress. I’d suggest white or black for this. Mini dresses work exceptionally well as they will be shorter than his shirt.
- Pick an oversized belt to accentuate the thinnest part of your waist.
- Your boyfriend’s oversized dress shirt.
Once you have all of these things gathered, slip on your dress and shrug on your boyfriend’s shirt. Roll the sleeves up mid-way to the bend in your arm. Let his shirt fall to your sides then cinch it in place with the oversized belt on top.
This layered look will work on almost all body types. Layering is your friend!
This style is perfect for layering. Find more here
2). Just the shirt.
Not a far cry from what you’d do on a Sunday morning when lounging around the house. All you need to do is button up his shirt, roll up the sleeves, and once again place a wide or textured belt over the slimmest part of your body. Make sure that you are choosing an oversized shirt that will hit you at mid-thigh at least.
3). Tie it off.
You can make a sexy dress out of your beau’s shirt by tying it around your body. This will actually help to make an incredible looking sundress without having to change a stitch on his shirt.
- Wear his long sleeved shirt around your body, leaving the arms slack at your side. (Don’t put on the sleeves)
- Button up the buttons to the point where you’re going to be the most comfortable. If you want a long dress, button it up higher. For a shorter dress, lift it up higher and let the slack at the top wrap around your waist with the arms when you proceed to the next step. For a longer dress, button it up as far as you need to feel comfortable wearing this shirt dress.
- Hold on to both sleeves and cross them, one over the other across your back.
- Make a knot or tie the ends of the sleeves like a ribbon around your waist in the front.
- And you’re done! You’re now ready to hit the town.